How the court handles delinquent child support payments

On Behalf of | Apr 6, 2020 | Family Law

Custodial parents in Colorado can count on the help of both the state and federal governments to help them recoup the money they are owed if a non-custodial parent does not pay their child support. A term commonly used in family law circles in reference to non-custodial parents who are delinquent in their child support payments is “deadbeats.” The legal term used to describe the condition of child support payment delinquency is “in arrears.”

Family courts in the state have enacted tough measures against deadbeat parents who are in arrears with their child support. These tactics can, sometimes, include shaming the parent by posting their names, photos, and the amount of child support they owe online.

When a non-custodial parent is determined to be delinquent in their child support payments, they will receive a notice that will explain to them what is owed, provide a time frame for repayment, and detail any other instructions needed to become fully compliant with child support orders. The court may also decide that the amount of back child support owed as well as the length of time the parent has been delinquent in their payments make it necessary to take harsher measures like wage garnishments or driver’s license suspensions.

A parent who is unable to pay his or her child support is allowed to file a motion to the court to modify the amount of child support that is expected. However, the court is likely to grant this motion only if the parent has experienced a significant reduction in income.

Custodial parents are often too busy to take the steps necessary to keep up with the enforcement of child support orders. A family law attorney may be able to help collect what is owed from a non-custodial parent who has failed to keep up with their child support payments.