What Steps To Take After A Motor Vehicle Accident
Statistically speaking, even the most careful drivers are likely to get into a motor vehicle accident at least once, and many accidents result in severe injuries. While the post-accident claim process is straightforward, insurance companies can make it difficult to recover fair compensation. If you were seriously injured in an accident in Colorado, the attorneys at Bradley Devitt Haas & Watkins, P.C., in Golden can help you seek the compensation you deserve.
Follow These Steps After An Accident
After a serious car accident you may feel flustered or agitated from shock or a rush of adrenaline. In the chaotic aftermath of an accident it can be difficult to remember what steps to take next. Following these steps will make the claims process smoother.
- Stay safe: If possible, move the vehicles to the side of the road and turn on hazard lights.
- Assess yourself: Check yourself for any injuries. Refrain from saying, “I’m fine,” or anything similar, since it could be used against you later when making an injury claim. Seek appropriate medical attention.
- Call the police: A formal police report can be invaluable for establishing fault. Make sure not to admit fault for the accident.
- Document the accident: Gather contact information of any other drivers, passengers and any witnesses involved. Make sure to record driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers and insurance policy numbers. If possible, take photos of the accident scene and vehicle damage.
- Notify your insurance company: File an insurance claim as soon as possible after the accident. Be truthful about the extent of your injuries.
- Hire an attorney: It’s never too early to call an attorney after a serious accident. An experienced lawyer can help you recover fair compensation.
Let Us Help You Understand Your Options
If you were injured in an accident, you may not fully understand the available insurance benefits for health care treatment and other accident expenses. Do not let the expenses from an accident force you into financial hardship. We can provide information about your legal and financial options. To learn more, please contact us by email or call 303-552-2615.